A bit of NCSSC history
The origins of the Northern Counties Shetland Sheepdog Club go back to around 1957. At this time there were only three clubs dedicated to Shetland Sheepdogs in the whole country: the Shetland Sheepdog Club based in Shetland, The Scottish Shetland Sheepdog Club and the English Shetland Sheepdog Club. However, in the far north of England an enthusiastic band of people were also breeding and showing Shetland Sheepdogs. Yet there was a gap in the coverage of the existing Shetland Sheepdog clubs: they fell into the gap between the English Club and the Scottish Club. Several of them had been involved in creating a section of the English Club, under the enthusiastic leadership of Mrs. Cochrane. In 1958 the local breeders made an application to the Kennel Club to form a new breed club. Initially this was rejected, with the recommendation that they try again in twelve months time. This was done with the sponsorship of the English Shetland Sheepdog Club, and on the 22nd July 1959 the Kennel Club approved the formation of a new breed club with the title of The Northern Counties Shetland Sheepdog Club.
The original 26 Founder Members quickly grew to a membership list of nearly 100. The first officials were:
Chairman Mrs J. Cochrane (Tighnaleigh) Secretary Mr J.K. Dinsmore (Kenmead) Show Secretary Mr J.K. Dinsmore (Kenmead) Treasurer Miss P.A. Todd (Sheldawyn) The Committee:
Miss T. Adams (Northisle) Mr T. D. Purvis (Danvis) Mrs C. Charlesworth (Dilhorne) Mr E. J. Robinson (Seaval) Mrs S.L. Dinsmore (Lysebourne) Mr D. Spence Mr H. Graham (Graygill) Mr R. Thompson (Eskcleth) Miss B.M. Herbert (Shelert) Mrs E. Wainwright (Brinkburn) Mr S.J. Meek (Highdale) Miss J. Wesgtarth (Jaysgarth) Soon after its foundation the new club invited Miss Margaret Heatley (Whytelaw) to become the first President, a post she has held until the present day. At this time too Colonel R.O. Gatheral OBE was invited to be Patron, a post which the new Club was grateful that he accepted.